Friday, September 19, 2008

Email is for old people

Issue One 08/03/08


Communication...from the time Adam looked at Eve and said “Whoa! man” people have liked to talk. We like to keep in touch with each other and know what’s going on. Flippantly someone made the comment to me that not all the youth check their e-mails, but if I sent them a text message as a reminder for an upcoming event they would sure get that. There is even a new youth ministry tool I saw this week for simply for that purpose. I don’t have a cell phone, maybe because there are times when I don’t want anyone to be able to get in touch with me or maybe because of taking the Dave Ramsey class I would have this insanely guilty conscience about having one. I probably should have one for emergencies, but I don’t see myself getting one anytime soon. I understand the importance of good communication which is what lead me to produce this, a decidedly low tech newsletter for youth and parents, mostly parents (since I fully expect youth will lose it before they get out the door of the church). So keep looking for this newsletter each week in your bulletin, with extra copies available on the tables in the foyer. It should keep you informed about all the youth are doing, and it’s easier that texting 30-40 people with no cell phone.



John “Low-Tech and Lovin’ It” Downey

No comments:

Post a Comment